For our December meeting, we asked our presenters to share insights with us on the following questions:
- When do children need to see a dentist and start getting x-rays?
- What do we do if our pediatrician tells us breastfeeding is causing problems with tooth enamel
- How concerned should we be about fluoride and about mercury in amalgams?
- How does nutrition play a role in the health of teeth and the development of the mouth?
- Is there a problem with prolonged thumb-sucking or pacifier use?
- How can the size and shape of the mouth affect the rest of the body?
- What do breastfeeding challenges have to do with mouth shape and structure, and what are the possible interventions?
- Is there any connection with oral health and sensory disorders, asthma, allergies, sleep apnea or bedwetting?
- What are some signs that there might be crowding and a possible need for orthodontic intervention? How early can you tell? How early should you do anything?
- Are braces inevitable? What can we do to avoid or limit the need for them? And why might we want to avoid braces?
- What if we had braces as a child but still experience headaches or breathing problems from a too-narrow airway? Or what if we never had braces but don't like the look of our smile? What can be done as an adult?
Dr. James Bronson and his son, Dr. Alex Bronson, of Bronson Family Dentistry gave a wonderful presentation to a rapt audience! We all learned a lot. Notes were taken and will be polished up to share early in 2015. Please email jessicaHMNarlalex (at) gmail (dot) com if you're interested with "Request holistic dentistry notes" in the subject heading.